FOIA Activity: 10 New Procedural or Substantive Decisions
We have added 10 decisions of a procedural or substantive nature filed between March 5, 2017 and March 11, 2017. These are associated with 10 FOIA cases pending in federal district court. Note that because there can be delays between the date a decision is made and when it shows up on PACER, this listing includes only decisions that appeared on PACER during this period.
Click on the date to view the full text of the decision. Click on a case title below to view other details for that case, including links to the docket report and complaint.
- DC 1:2013cv00555 — SHAPIRO et al v. DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE
- March 6, 2017: MEMORANDUM OPINION AND ORDER: The FBI's motion for leave to file Hardy's eighth declaration ex parte and in camera  is hereby GRANTED; Plaintiffs' motion to strike the eighth Hardy declaration and to make public portions of the thi rd and sixth Hardy declarations  is hereby DENIED. The FBI's motion for summary judgment  is hereby GRANTED as to the application of Exemption 7(E) to the search processing records relating to the forty-two parent FOIA requests for whic h Shapiro received No Records responses; as to the application of FOIA Exemption 1; and as to the application of Exemption 5 to the McGehee litigation documents, and to the Zubaydah documents to the extent that they reflect deliberations about the FB I's litigation strategy and defense; and the motion is otherwise DENIED. Plaintiffs' cross-motion for summary judgment  is hereby GRANTED as to the application of Exemption 7(A) to records relating to the murder of Dr. Hyram Kitchen, and the motion is otherwise DENIED. See attached document for details. Signed by Judge Randolph D. Moss on 3/6/2017. (lcrdm2, )
- DC 1:2014cv00020 — HOUSE v. COURTER
- March 5, 2017: MEMORANDUM OPINION for Order  See document for details. Signed by Judge Randolph D. Moss on 3/5/2017. (lcrdm1, )
- DC 1:2014cv01140 — EDELMAN v. SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION
- March 6, 2017: MEMORANDUM OPINION: The Court will GRANT in part and DENY in part the SEC's renewed motion for summary judgment, Dkt.  , will DENY Edelman's renewed motion for summary judgment, Dkt.  , and will GRANT the SEC's motion to file a sur-reply, Dkt.  See attached document for details. A separate Order  will issue. Signed by Judge Randolph D. Moss on 3/6/2017. (lcrdm1, ) Modified on 3/7/2017 to link correct document (kt).
- DC 1:2014cv01951 — DE SOUSA v. CENTRAL INTELLIGENCE AGENCY et al
- March 9, 2017: MEMORANDUM OPINION regarding the defendants'  Motion for Summary Judgment and the plaintiff's  Cross-Motion for Summary Judgment. Signed by Chief Judge Beryl A. Howell on March 9, 2017. (lcbah1)
- DC 1:2015cv00988 — CODREA et al v. BUREAU OF ALCOHOL, TOBACCO, FIREARMS, AND EXPLOSIVES
- March 7, 2017: MEMORANDUM OPINION regarding the defendant's  Motion for Summary Judgment. Signed by Chief Judge Beryl A. Howell on March 7, 2017. (lcbah3)
- DC 1:2015cv01215 — AHURUONYE v. UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR et al
- March 8, 2017: MEMORANDUM OPINION. Signed by Judge Reggie B. Walton on March 8, 2017. (lcrbw2)
- DC 1:2015cv01445 — KING v. UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE
- March 8, 2017: MEMORANDUM OPINION AND ORDER: Plaintiff's motion for an extension of time  and his motion to modify the Court's Minute Order of January 26, 2017, and for judicial notice  are hereby DENIED. See attached document for details. Signed by Judge Randolph D. Moss on 3/7/2017. (lcrdm2, ) Modified on 3/8/2017 (kt).
- DC 1:2016cv00072 — JOHNSON v. UNITED STATES OF AMERICA et al
- March 6, 2017: MEMORANDUM AND OPINION. Signed by Judge Tanya S. Chutkan on 3/3/17. (ms)
- LAE 2:2016cv15438 — Gahagan v. United States Citizenship and Immigration Services
- March 8, 2017: ORDER AND REASONS – IT IS ORDERED: that  USCIS's motion for reconsideration is DENIED and its  motion for summary judgment is DENIED as moot. IT IS FURTHER ORDERED: that the scheduling order issued in this case is hereby rescinded and a judgment for plaintiff will be entered. Finally, IT IS FURTHER ORDERED: that the plaintiff's motion for attorney's fees is referred to the magistrate judge for determination. Signed by Judge Martin L.C. Feldman on 3/8/2017. (cg)
- NV 2:2016cv00403 — Basin and Range Watch v. Bureau Of Land Management et al
- March 10, 2017: ORDER Granting  Motion to Stay. IT IS FURTHER ORDERED that  defendants' motion for summary judgment and  plaintiff's cross-motion for summary judgment be, and the same hereby are, DENIED as moot. Signed by Judge James C. Mahan on 3/10/17. (Copies have been distributed pursuant to the NEF – ADR)