Skip to content

Case Detail

[Subscribe to updates]
Case TitleAdvocates for the West, Inc. v. United States Department of Justice
DistrictDistrict of Idaho
CityDatabaseVersion 6.1 Boise - Southern
Case Number1:2017cv00423
Date Filed2017-10-12
Date ClosedOpen
JudgeJudge David C. Nye
PlaintiffAdvocates for the West, Inc.
Case DescriptionAdvocates for the West submitted a FOIA request to the Department of Justice for records concerning legal advice provided by the Office of Legal Counsel pertaining to the president's authority to designate, withdraw, expand, or modify national monuments under the Antiquities Act. The agency responded by disclosing 65 pages, but withheld 12 documents under Exemption 5 (privileges). Advocates for the West filed an administrative appeal of the denial. The agency upheld its denial on appeal. Advocates for the West then filed suit.
Complaint issues: Litigation - Attorney's fees

DefendantUnited States Department of Justice a Department of the United States
Complaint attachment 1
Complaint attachment 2
Complaint attachment 3
User-contributed Documents
Docket Events (Hide)
Date FiledDoc #Docket Text

2017-10-121COMPLAINT against United States Department of Justice ( Filing fee $ 400 receipt number 0976-1646873.), filed by Advocates for the West, Inc.. (Attachments: # 1 Cover Sheet, # 2 Summons, # 3 Summons)(Tucci, Todd)
2017-10-122Summons Issued as to United States Department of Justice, U.S. Attorney and U.S. Attorney General (Print attached Summons for service.) (Attachments: # 1 Summons U.S. Attorney)(cjs)
2017-11-153ANSWER to 1 Complaint by United States Department of Justice. (Attachments: # 1 Exhibit A, # 2 Exhibit B, # 3 Exhibit C, # 4 Exhibit D)(Woychick, Nicholas)
2017-11-174NOTICE of Availability of Magistrate Judge and Requirement for Consent sent to counsel for Advocates for the West, Inc., United States Department of Justice re 3 Answer to Complaint, 1 Complaint Consent/Objection to Magistrate due by 1/16/2018. (cjs)
2017-11-17NOTICE: Pursuant to FRCP 7.1 you are required to file a Corporate Disclosure Statement with the Clerk's Office. You can do this by choosing the category Other Documents, then select Corporate Disclosure Statement. (cjs)
Hide Docket Events
by FOIA Project Staff